Richard is the author of eight books, including three best sellers, and his work has been translated into 21 languages. Repacking Your Bags and The Power of Purpose are considered classics in the personal growth field. Claiming Your Place at the Fire and Something to Live For, have been touted as breakthrough books on “life transitions.” He is a contributing author to leading edge coaching books, including: Coaching for Leadership, The Art and Practice of Leadership Coaching, Executive Coaching for Results, The Leader of the Future, and The Organization of the Future.
Richard holds a Master’s Degree in Counseling and is a Nationally Certified Master Career Counselor. He is a Senior Fellow at the University of Minnesota’s Center for Spirituality and Healing where he spearheaded The Purpose Project. He is a Carlson Executive Fellow at the University of Minnesota School of Management and a guest lecturer in the Harvard Business School and Duke Corporate Education.
Richard is quoted regularly in the Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and USA Today, and on PBS public television, NPR public radio, and other media sources.
A pioneer in the field of “coaching,” Richard’s work has received recognition from the Bush Foundation, from which he was awarded a Bush Fellowship. He was named a “Distinguished Alumni” by Gustavus Adolphus College, to the “Hall of Fame” at Central High School, and received the Fielding Outstanding Scholar for Creative Longevity and Wisdom award.
For 30 years, Richard has led Inventure Expedition walking safaris in Tanzania, East Africa. He resides in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.
Speeches / Presentations
- “Creating Meaning in Your Life and Work: The Power of Purpose,” Pfizer World Wide Human Resources Conference, Mystic, CT
- “Working On Purpose in a Changing World,” University of Minnesota 19th Biennial Alumni Institute Medical Health Administrators Alumni Association/Foundation, Minneapolis
- “Repacking Your Bags for the Good Life,” American Express Financial Advisors’ Women Venture Conference, Minneapolis
- “The Power of Purpose,” Strategic Executive Education Network Conference, Boston
- “What Do I Want Out of the Second Half of My Life and Work?” The Stewards First Annual Gathering, Santa Monica, CA
- “Working On Purpose in a Changing World,” Nippon Wilson Learning Client Conference, Tokyo
- “Repacking Your Bags: Igniting the Spirit of Growth and Renewal,” Quality Leadership Conference, Fairview Health Systems, Minneapolis