Barbara is president of The Inventure Group, a Minneapolis-based leadership development, executive coaching and consulting firm. She has worked with such clients as the American Academy of Neurology, Medtronic, the University of Minnesota Foundation, Caldrea and Xerox to enhance leadership effectiveness, team synergy, and courageous conversations. In addition to her corporate clients, Barbara regularly works with not-for-profit and faith-based organizations to build alignment, leadership capacity, and accountability for their futures.
Barbara is a gifted speaker, facilitator and coach. She has developed and led workshops and retreats in purposeful living, leadership, planning and teaming, work/life balance and interpersonal communications. In her coaching, she works with executives and leaders to discover and use their best talents to find greater fulfillment and success in their work and life. She partners with leaders to help them identify and lead from their strengths while addressing critical developmental areas.
Having worked in the leadership and development field for more than 20 years, Barbara’s purpose is to help people explore and engage the power of choice in their lives to live like it matters. Her blog, Burn the Ships, is a resource for leaders’ continuing development. She serves as an adjunct faculty member for the Executive Education Center at the University of Minnesota’s Carlson School of Business. She received her coaching certification from the Coach Training Institute (CTI), and holds a master’s degree in Business Communication from the University of St. Thomas where she was the recipient of the James S. Fish Scholarship for integrity in communication. An advocate of life-long learning, Barbara is an avid reader and writer, and continually seeks to grow through travel and such adventure/inventure experiences as skydiving and glacier hiking. A native Minnesotan, she is passionate about her family and time spent in personal faith enrichment and renewal. She is active in the Twin Cities community, serving as Director on the Boards of two organizations.
Speeches / Presentations
- “Insights for Effective Relationships.” Project Open Hand, San Francisco, 2013.
- “Leading From Within.” Pastoral Leadership Institute – International, The Philippines, 2012; Latvia, 2010; Hong Kong, 2008, 2007.
- “Finding Your Purpose.” Blue Zones/AARP Vitality Project, Manhattan Beach, CA, 2012; Albert Lea, MN, 2009.
- “The Art and Practice of Leaders Coaching Leaders.” Executive Education Center, Carlson School of Business, University of Minnesota, 2011.
- “Finding Your Purpose: Live Longer, Better.” Achieving a Healthy Balance Women’s Conference, Ridgeview Foundation, 2011.
- “Repacking Your Bags.” Ramsey County Staff Retreat, 2011.
- “Thriving in Changing Times.” Northwest Area Foundation Retreat, 2010